The neurology residency program features scholarly activity as a core component. All residents participate in scholarly activity during there time here, and are exposed to exceptional research opportunities within the various academic divisions, the Brain and Mind Research Institute, the Clinical and Translational Neuroscience Unit, Rockefeller University, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Residents have ample access to faculty mentors to guide them in research and writing projects, and may therefore gain experience in study design, data analysis, and publication. Identification of candidates for numerous clinical trials is routine for our residents in inpatient and outpatient practice. All PGY4 residents are supported to attend the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) annual scientific meeting, and residents are encouraged to present their work at national and international conferences including the AAN, International Stroke Conference, American Epilepsy Society, American Headache Society, Movement Disorders Society, and other meetings.
Resident Research Positions
Our neurology residency program with support from the Brain and Mind Research Institute offers one research track resident position every four years. This position allows for such a resident to establish a research project early into training, have dedicated mentorship, support for materials, and protected time for research during the PGY4 year. Participants are recruited into this program through the neurology residency match and include:
Evan Noch, MD, PhD, Residency Class of 2017
- Studying the expression of lipid kinases in the brain and glioma, and examining the role of necrosis in regulating glycolytic flux and survival in glioma; combining the ketogenic diet with targeted metabolic drug therapies in glioma
- Recruited to join our departmental faculty in summer of 2019 after his neuro-oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Kurt Qing, MD, PhD, Residency Class of 2021
- Studying the prognostication of patients with seizures and status epilepticus post-cardiac arrest based on EEG patterns
- Primary mentor is Peter Forgacs, M.D., M.S.
McGraw Fellowship in Neurology Research
The McGraw Fellowship in Neurology Research is a one-year award given to a 4th year neurology resident with great career potential to become an academic clinician. The award helps prepare the McGraw Fellow for a career in academic neurology to be cultivated at Weill Cornell Medicine and New York-Presbyterian. The broad goal is to advance discovery of diagnostics and innovative treatments to improve outcomes for patients with neurological diseases. The McGraw Fellowship also supports one position in our neurology residency program to further our mission in clinical care, research, and education.
The McGraw Fellow is chosen based on high quality, compassionate, and scholarly care for their patients during the first 3 years of their residency training, and the initiative to develop a research interest or preliminary work in clinical, basic, educational, or epidemiological science that has potential to benefit patients with neurological disease and can be completed during the 4th year of neurology residency training. The candidate is selected by the Clinical Research Committee of the Department of Neurology after presentation of candidates’ clinical and scholarly portfolios by the residency program director. The McGraw fellow also is awarded protected research time furing their PGY-4 residency year. The McGraw Fellow is identified as such in peer-reviewed literature publications.
Resident research symposium
Our annual Resident Research Symposium features resident posters and platform presentations on work in progress, or previously accepted at various scientific meetings or published in the peer-reviewed literature. This is an opportunity for residents to hone their presentation skills and they are supported in this by their mentors. The annual event is well-attended by faculty, and is the venue for the announcement of the McGraw Fellow in Neurology Research. Dr. Mary Vo along with the research chief resident organize this event.
Neurology Resident as Educator Track
A new initiative in 2019 led by Dr. Joseph Safdieh is an education track which culminates in an education research project. Residents interested in developing careers as neurology educators may apply for selection to this competitive track during their PGY-1 year. Formal teaching, curriculum development, and committee responsibilities are graded by PGY year, with participation in an education research project mentored by our core education faculty.
Resident research bibliography (since 2016)
- Chatterjee A, Merkler AE, Murthy SB, Burch JE, Chen ML, Gialdini G, Kamel H, Ballman KV, Navi BB. Temporal Trends in the Use of Acute Recanalization Therapies for Ischemic Stroke in Patients with Cancer. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2019 May 29. pii: S1052-3057(19)30229-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2019.05.009. [Epub ahead of print]
- Weaver J, Sarva H, Barone D, Bobker S, Bushara K, Hiller A, Ishii M, Jankovic J, Lakhani S, Niotis K, Scharre DW, Tuite P, Stutz A, Westhoff CM, Walker RH. McLeod syndrome: Five new pedigrees with novel mutations. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2019 May 2. pii: S1353-8020(19)30217-2. doi: 10.1016/j.parkreldis.2019.04.022. [Epub ahead of print]
- Andersen BM, Miranda C, Hatzoglou V, DeAngelis LM, Miller AM. Leptomeningeal metastases in glioma: The Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center experience. Neurology. 2019 Apr 24. pii: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000007529. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000007529. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mahta A, Merkler AE, Reznik ME, Burch JE, Yaghi S, Sellke FW, Furie KL, Kamel H. Emphysema: A Potential Risk Factor for Subarachnoid Hemorrhage and Ruptured Aortic Aneurysm. Stroke. 2019 Apr;50(4):992-994.
- Aaroe AE, Nevel KS. Central Nervous System Involvement of Natural Killer and T Cell Neoplasms. Curr Oncol Rep. 2019 Mar 27;21(5):40. doi: 10.1007/s11912-019-0794-2. Review.
- Sekar K, Schiff ND, Labar D, Forgacs PB. Spectral Content of Electroencephalographic Burst-Suppression Patterns May Reflect Neuronal Recovery in Comatose Post-Cardiac Arrest Patients. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2019 Mar;36(2):119-126.
- Patsalides A, Oliveira C, Wilcox J, Brown K, Grover K, Gobin YP, Dinkin MJ. Venous sinus stenting lowers the intracranial pressure in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. J Neurointerv Surg. 2019 Feb;11(2):175-178.
- Khazanova D, Safdieh JE. Continuing Medical Education in Neurology. Semin Neurol. 2018 Aug;38(4):479-485.
- Salehi Omran S, Boddu SR, Gusdon AM, Kummer B, Baradaran H, Patel P, Díaz I, Navi BB, Gupta A, Kamel H, Patsalides A. Angiographic Blush after Mechanical Thrombectomy is Associated with Hemorrhagic Transformation of Ischemic Stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2018 Nov;27(11):3124-3130.
- Chen ML, Gupta A, Chatterjee A, Khazanova D, Dou E, Patel H, Gialdini G, Merkler AE, Navi BB, Kamel H. Association Between Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms and Downstream Stroke. Stroke. 2018 Sep;49(9):2029-2033.
- Sequeira AJ, Buchman S, Lewis A, Karceski S. Future development of a depot antiepileptic drug: What are the ethical implications? Epilepsy Behav. 2018 Aug;85:183-187.
- Wilcox JA, Ramakrishna R, Magge R. Immunotherapy in Glioblastoma. World Neurosurg. 2018 Aug;116:518-528.
- Noch EK. Til Neglect Do Us Part. JAMA Neurol. 2018 Jul 1;75(7):785-786.
- Noch EK, Ramakrishna R, Magge R. Challenges in the Treatment of Glioblastoma: Multisystem Mechanisms of Therapeutic Resistance. World Neurosurg. 2018 Aug;116:505-517.
- Nevel KS, Wilcox JA, Robell LJ, Umemura Y. The Utility of Liquid Biopsy in Central Nervous System Malignancies. Curr Oncol Rep. 2018 June 6;20(8):60.
- Al-Kawaz M, Omran SS, Parikh NS, Elkind MSV, Soliman EZ, Kamel H. Comparative Risks of Ischemic Stroke in Atrial Flutter versus Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease. 2018 Apr;27(4):839-844.
- Kaunzner UW, Al-Kawaz M, Gauthier SA. Defining Disease Activity and Response to Therapy in MS. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. 2017 May;19(5):20.
- Al-Kawaz M, Monohan E, Morris E, Perumal JS, Nealon N, Vartanian T, Gauthier SA. Differential Impact of Multiple Sclerosis on Cortical and Deep Gray Matter Structures in African Americans and Caucasian Americans. Journal of Neuroimaging. 2017 May;27(3):333-338.
- Yalcin N, Chen SP, Yu ES, Liu TT, Yen JC, Atalay YB, Qin T, Celik F, van den Maagdenberg AM, Moskowitz MA, Ayata C, Eikermann-Haerter K. Caffeine does not affect susceptibility to cortical spreading depolarization in mice. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2018 Jan 1:271678X18768955.
- Azary S, Schreiner T, Graves J, Waldman A, Belman A, Guttman BW, Aaen G, Tillema JM, Mar S, Hart J, Ness J, Harris Y, Krupp L, Gorman M, Benson L, Rodriguez M, Chitnis T, Rose J, Barcellos LF, Lotze T, Carmichael SL, Roalstad S, Casper CT, Waubant E. Contribution of dietary intake to relapse rate in early paediatric multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry. 2018 Jan;89(1):28-33.
- Brady E, Parikh NS, Navi BB, Gupta A, Schweitzer AD. The imaging spectrum of posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome: A pictorial review. Clin Imaging. 2018 Jan - Feb;47:80-89.
- Parikh NS, Schweitzer AD, Young RJ, Giambrone AE, Lyo J, Karimi S, Knobel A, Gupta A, Navi BB. Corticosteroid therapy and severity of vasogenic edema in posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. J Neurol Sci. 2017 Sep 15;380:11-15. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2017.06.044. Epub 2017 Jun 29.
- Broner SW, Bobker S, Klebanoff L. Migraine in Women. Seminars in Neurology. 2017 Dec;37(6):601-610.
- Parikh NS, Burch JE, Kamel H, DeAngelis LM, Navi BB. Recurrent Thromboembolic Events after Ischemic Stroke in Patients with Primary Brain Tumors. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease. 2017 Oct;26(10):2396-2403.
- Jagannathan R, Schimizzi GV, Zhang K, Loza AJ, Yabuta N, Nojima H, Longmore GD. AJUBA LIM Proteins Limit Hippo Activity in Proliferating Cells by Sequestering the Hippo Core Kinase Complex in the Cytosol. Molecular Cellular Biology. 2016 Sep 26;36(20):2526-42.
- Pillai RLI, Malhotra A, Rupert DD, Weschler B, Williams JC, Zhang M, Yang J, Mann JJ, Oquendo MA, Parsey RV, DeLorenzo C. Relations between cortical thickness, serotonin 1A receptor binding, and structural connectivity: A multimodal imaging study. Human Brain Mapping. 2018 Feb;39(2):1043-1055.
- Malhotra A, Rao Q, Kelly S, Schwartz D, Chow R. A Rare Presentation of Cryptococcal Meningoencephalitis in an Immunocompetent Individual. Clinical Practice. 2017 Sep 15;7(4):1002.
- Mercuri MA, White H, Oliveira C. Vision Loss and Symmetric Basal Ganglia Lesions in Leber Hereditary Optic Neuropathy. Journal of Neuroophthalmology. 2017 Dec;37(4):411-413.
- Miranda C, Mahta A, Wheeler LA, Tsiouris AJ, Kamel H. Tension pneumocephalus mimicking septic shock: a case report. Radiology Case Reports. 2017 Nov 7;13(1):241-243.
- Vo ML, Chin RL, Miranda C, Latov N. Changes in spatiotemporal gait parameters following intravenous immunoglobulin treatment for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy. Muscle Nerve. 2017 Oct;56(4):732-736.
- Merkler AE, Gialdini G, Murthy SB, Salehi Omran S, Moya A, Lerario MP, Chong J, Okin PM, Weinsaft JW, Safford MM, Fink ME, Navi BB, Iadecola C, Kamel H. Association Between Troponin Levels and Embolic Stroke of Undetermined Source. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2017 Sep 22;6(9).
- Scheinman SJ, Fleming P, Niotis K. Oath Taking at U.S. and Canadian Medical School Ceremonies: Historical Perspectives, Current Practices, and Future Considerations. Academic Medicine. 2017 Dec 12.
- Noch E, Henchcliffe C, Hellmers N, Chu ML, Pappas J, Moran E, Alcaraz W, Sarva H. Kufor-Rakeb Syndrome Due to a Novel ATP13A2 Mutation in 2 Chinese-American Brothers. Mov Disord Clin Pract. 2017 Dec 21;5(1):92-95.
- Gusdon AM, Gialdini G, Kone G, Baradaran H, Merkler AE, Mangat HS, Navi BB, Iadecola C, Gupta A, Kamel H, Murthy SB. Neutrophil-Lymphocyte Ratio and Perihematomal Edema Growth in Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Stroke. 2017 Sep;48(9):2589-2592.
- Parikh NS, Navi BB, Schneider Y, Jesudian A, Kamel H. Association Between Cirrhosis and Stroke in a Nationally Representative Cohort. JAMA Neurol. 2017 Aug 1;74(8):927-932.
- Sundhu M, Yildiz M, Syed M, Shah B, Gul S, Afzal O, Castle L. Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes of Patients with Ischemic and Non-Ischemic Complete Heart Block. Cureus. 2017 May 12;9(5):e1244.
- Murthy SB, Merkler AE, Omran SS, Gialdini G, Gusdon A, Hartley B, Roh D, Mangat HS, Iadecola C, Navi BB, Kamel H. Outcomes after intracerebral hemorrhage from arteriovenous malformations. Neurology. 2017 May 16;88(20):1882-1888.
- Schweitzer AD, Parikh NS, Askin G, Nemade A, Lyo J, Karimi S, Knobel A, Navi BB, Young RJ, Gupta A. Imaging characteristics associated with clinical outcomes in posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. Neuroradiology. 2017 Apr;59(4):379-386.
- Parikh NS, Merkler AE, Schneider Y, Navi BB, Kamel H. Discharge Disposition After Stroke in Patients With Liver Disease. Stroke. 2017 Feb;48(2):476-478.
- Noch EK. Right Brain: Home is where the heart is.Neurology. 2016 Dec 13;87(24):e288-e289.
- Merkler AE, Duggal I, Kaunzner U, Maciel CB, Miller AM, Scognamiglio T, Dinkin MJ. Rapidly progressive bilateral optic nerve and retinal infarctions due to rhinocerebral mucormycosis and pseudoephedrine use. Neurol Clin Pract. 2016 Dec;6(6):549-552.
- Parikh NS, Cool J, Karas MG, Boehme AK, Kamel H. Stroke Risk and Mortality in Patients With Ventricular Assist Devices. Stroke. 2016 Nov;47(11):2702-2706.
- Hodgson TS, Nielsen SM, Lesniak MS, Lukas RV. Neurological Management of Von Hippel-Lindau Disease. Neurologist. 2016 Sep;21(5):73-8.
- Navi BB, Parikh NS, Lerario MP, Merkler AE, Lappin RI, Fahimi J, Iadecola C, Kamel H. Risk of Intracerebral Hemorrhage after Emergency Department Discharges for Hypertension. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016 Jul;25(7):1683-1687.
- Parikh NS, Khazanova D, Moya A, Kaunzner UW, Allen BB, Navi BB. Clinical Reasoning: An unusual case of blurry vision in a young woman after ovarian induction. Neurology. 2016 Aug 2;87(5):e49-53.
- Allen BB, Charles JA, Papadopoulos E, Avila EK. Neurogenic orthostatic hypotension with critical illness neuropathy treated with droxidopa. Auton Neurosci. 2016 Jul;198:8-9.
- Grinspan ZM, Eldar YC, Gopher D, Gottlieb A, Lammfromm R, Mangat HS, Peleg N, Pon S, Rozenberg I, Schiff ND, Stark DE, Yan P, Pratt H, Kosofsky BE. Guiding Principles for a Pediatric Neurology ICU (neuroPICU) Bedside Multimodal Monitor: Findings from an International Working Group. Appl Clin Inform. 2016 May 18;7(2):380-98.
- Lerario MP, Merkler AE, Gialdini G, Parikh NS, Navi BB, Kamel H. Risk of Stroke After the International Classification of Diseases-Ninth Revision Discharge Code Diagnosis of Hypertensive Encephalopathy. Stroke. 2016 Feb;47(2):372-5.
- Merkler AE, Parikh NS, Chaudhry S, Chait A, Allen NC, Navi BB, Kamel H. Hospital revisit rate after a diagnosis of conversion disorder. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2016 Apr;87(4):363-6.
- Baradaran H, Omran S, Chazen JL. Teaching NeuroImages: Acute crossed cerebellar diaschisis. Neurology. 2016 Apr 5;86(14):e154-e155.
- Parikh NS, Navi BB, Kumar S, Kamel H. Association between Liver Disease and Intracranial Hemorrhage. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016 Mar;25(3):543-8.
Bibliography of education-specific projects from resident education leadership team (since 2016)
- Callister MN, Robbins MS, Callister NR, Vargas BB. Tweeting the Headache Meetings: Cross-Sectional Analysis of Twitter Activity Surrounding American Headache Society Conferences. Headache. 2019 Apr;59(4):518-531. doi: 10.1111/head.13500. Epub 2019 Mar 20.
- Safdieh JE, Govindarajan R, Gelb DJ, Odia Y, Soni M. Core curriculum guidelines for a required clinical neurology experience. Neurology. 2019 Mar 26;92(13):619-626. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000007187. Epub 2019 Feb 22.
- Isaacson RS, Seifan A, Haddox CL, Mureb M, Rahman A, Scheyer O, Hackett K, Caesar E, Chen JL, Isaacson J, McInnis M, Mosconi L, Safdieh J. Using social media to disseminate education about Alzheimer's prevention & treatment: a pilot study on Alzheimer's universe (www.AlzU.org). J Commun Healthc. 2018;11(2):106-113. doi: 10.1080/17538068.2018.1467068. Epub 2018 May 5.
- Safdieh JE, Quick AD, Korb PJ, Torres-Russotto D, Gable KL, Rock M, Cahill C, Soni M; American Academy of Neurology Consortium of Neurology Clerkship Directors 2017 Neurology Clerkship Director Survey Workgroup. A dozen years of evolution of neurology clerkships in the United States: Looking up. Neurology. 2018 Oct 9;91(15):e1440-e1447. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000006170. Epub 2018 Sep 7.
- Salas RME, Strowd RE, Ali I, Soni M, Schneider L, Safdieh J, Vaughn BV, Avidan AY, Jeffery JB, Gamaldo CE. Incorporating sleep medicine content into medical school through neuroscience core curricula. Neurology. 2018 Sep 25;91(13):597-610. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000006239. Epub 2018 Sep 5.
- Khazanova D, Safdieh JE. Continuing Medical Education in Neurology. Semin Neurol. 2018 Aug;38(4):479-485. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1666978. Epub 2018 Aug 20. Review.
- Robbins MS, Rosen NL. Headache Interest in Academic Neurology Leadership: A Cross-Sectional Study. Headache. 2018 Jan;58(1):102-108. doi: 10.1111/head.13186. Epub 2017 Sep 21.
- Robbins MS, Haut SR, Lipton RB, Milstein MJ, Ocava LC, Ballaban-Gil K, Moshé SL, Mehler MF. A dedicated scholarly research program in an adult and pediatric neurology residency program. Neurology. 2017 Apr 4;88(14):1366-1370. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000003626. Epub 2017 Feb 22.
- Robbins MS. Headache medicine as an emerging subspecialty-Irony and reality. Neurology. 2017 Mar 28;88(13):e124. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000003774. No abstract available.
- Christner JG, Dallaghan GB, Briscoe G, Casey P, Fincher RM, Manfred LM, Margo KI, Muscarella P, Richardson JE, Safdieh J, Steiner BD. The Community Preceptor Crisis: Recruiting and Retaining Community-Based Faculty to Teach Medical Students-A Shared Perspective From the Alliance for Clinical Education. Teach Learn Med. 2016 Jul-Sep;28(3):329-36. doi: 10.1080/10401334.2016.1152899. Epub 2016 Apr 19.
- Robbins MS, Robertson CE, Ailani J, Levin M, Friedman DI, Dodick DW. Procedural Headache Medicine in Neurology Residency Training: A Survey of US Program Directors. Headache. 2016 Jan;56(1):79-85. doi: 10.1111/head.12695. Epub 2015 Sep 9.